Celebrated since 1995 to mark the foundation of the Congregation of the Mission and the establishment of St. John’s University in 1870. The theme and activities aim to honor St. Vincent De Paul and remind the University Community of the heritage which reaches back to the 17th century.
This weeklong celebration includes events for every level of the University community including students, faculty, staff, and administrators. The events include worship services, lectures, luncheons, discussions, and service opportunities. It takes place on all campuses at the same time.
2017 Founder’s Week
2016 Founder’s Week
“Vincentian Education: Illuminating Minds, Creating Opportunities, Serving the World” Celebrating 200 years of Vincentian Education in the United States.
Some Highlights from 2016 include:
- Academic Lecture by Dr. Robert D. Putnam, Peter and Isabel Malkin Professor of Public Policy at Harvard University, titled “Our Kids: The American Dream in Crisis”. http://www.stjohns.edu/about/news/2016-09-27/founder-s-week-lecture-acclaimed-author-discusses-american-dream-peril
- Vincentian Convocation Ceremony
Thursday, September 22, 2016
St. Thomas More Church, Queens campus
Vincentian Mission Award
David L. Gregory, J.S.D.
Dorothy Day Professor and Executive Director of the Center for Labor and Employment Law
School of Law, St. John’s University
Barrier Free Living
Accepted by Paul Feuerstein
President and CEO, Barrier Free Living
St. Elizabeth Ann Seton Medal
Marie C. Fouché ’11G
Ladies of Charity International Representative to the Vincentian Family Haiti Initiative Commission and Ladies of Charity at St. John’s University
St. Vincent de Paul Medal
Stephen Hernon ’07GEd
Principal, St. Brigid School
Frederic Ozanam Award
Don Bosco Workers, Inc.
Accepted by Gonzalo Cruz
Executive Director, Don Bosco Workers, Inc.
Rev. Stephen M. Bicsko, C.M.
School of Law, St. John’s University
Degree of Doctor of Pedagogy and Vincentian Chair of Social Justice Lecture
Rev. Dennis H. Holtschneider, C.M., Ed.D.
President, DePaul University
Following the conferral of the honorary degree, Rev. Holtschneider, C.M. delivered the Vincentian Chair of Social Justice Lecture.
Mass and Luncheons
Masses were celebrated in New York and abroad to celebrate the Founders and the Feast of St. Vincent DePaul, including in Seville, Rome, Paris, Staten Island and Queens.
The Vincentian Center hosted a series of luncheons for faculty, administrators and staff with presentations by Rev. John Rybolt and Dr. Jerrold Ross, respectively, who highlighted the charisms of St. Vincent DePaul in light of the world we live in and the work we do. Luncheons included Queens Faculty Research Luncheon, Manhattan Faculty/Administrator/Staff, and Queens Administrators and Staff.
2015 Founder’s Week:
“Be Vincentian: Look with Love, Move with Mercy” linked the charism of St. Vincent de Paul with the year of Mercy declared by His Holiness Pope Francis. 22 events were hosted on all SJU campuses and sites.
Some Highlights from 2015 include
- Bryan Stevenson academic lecture (9/21) http://www.stjohns.edu/about/news/2015-09-25/founder-s-week-speaker-suggests-path-promoting-social-justice
- “University Community Celebrates Historic Papal Visit to US” (picture under UN experts) http://www.stjohns.edu/about/news/2015-09-23/university-community-celebrates-historic-papal-visit-us#sthash.GwBnijkH.dpuf
- University Service Day http://www.stjohns.edu/faith-service/service-opportunities/university-service-day
- A film, “The Heart of a Murderer” picture and http://www.heartofamurderer.com/
- Convocation/Catholic Lecture Series, Bishop McElroy lecture and honorees